The City of Port Colborne, located on the south coast of the scenic Niagara region, Niagara’s Port of Call has found the perfect balance – successful industrial and commercial sectors, comfortable and scenic residential areas, white sand beaches, unique culinary choices, the world class Sugarloaf Marina, fishing, golfing, trails, shopping districts along the historic Welland Canal – truly a community that adds to the overall Niagara Experience. A great place to work and raise a family!
The City of Port Colborne has an exciting opportunity for an Executive Administrative Assistant who will leverage their experience and professional skills to deliver a high level of support to our Mayor and Chief Administrative Officer.
The Executive Administrative Assistant to the Mayor and CAO is responsible for the day-to-day operation and administration of the Offices of the Mayor & CAO. This position provides complex, confidential, executive level administrative support including planning, organizing, and scheduling meetings and events, overseeing and participating in special functions and projects, minute and note taking, agenda preparation, and maintaining effective public relations for the City. Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as the first point of contact for the offices of the Mayor and CAO, independently responding to phone, mail, e-mail and in person inquiries, requests and concerns from all sectors of the public, staff, business and other levels of government.
- Schedule and confirm appointments and maintain daily appointment books and calendar of events for the Mayor and CAO.
- Responsible for all aspects of coordinating and supporting Council or Council Committees/Mayor, or CAO activities/events. Includes acting as primary staff and community liaison for events organized by others that involve Mayor, CAO or Member of Council and coordinating the attendance of Council and senior staff, as well as the involvement of high-profile external guests in community-based events.
- Coordinate venues, supplies, as well as manage finances and provide administrative support, both in advance and at the event. Responsible for arranging or coordinating all catering associated with the events.
- Responsible for all supply and promotional material ordering for the Mayor and CAO’s offices, ensuring adherence to budget and all financial procedures.
- Initiate memorial donations, flag lowering and notices to staff and website after the passing of past and present staff members and council members as well as prominent individuals.
- Schedule meetings, prepare and distribute meeting agendas, attend and minute meetings.
- Create, file and maintain general and confidential records. Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Develop a network of contacts to promote a high standard of public relations at all times.
- Act as Staff Liaison for the Grant Policy Committee and the Social Determinants of Health Committee, preparing agendas, background documentation, minutes, letters to applicants and presentation at a Council meeting.
- Prepares briefing packages, speaking notes, articles, publications, press releases and general correspondence for Mayor, Council and CAO, as required.
The ideal candidate will have a College Diploma or University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or Public Relations, along with 5 years of progressively responsible experience working in an administrative role within a public or municipal environment. Experience in public relations, communications and/or community engagement is an asset. This position requires a Class G Ontario Driver’s License in good standing and a reliable vehicle to use as needed for travel between work sites. The ability to attend meetings and/or events that occur in the evenings or on weekends is required. Exceptional skills in MS Office including Outlook, Excel and One Note are required, as well as exceptional organizational, communication and multi-tasking skills. Knowledge and experience with Municipal operations and procedures. The ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality is required.
For full details, please see the job description here
This job description is currently under review and may be modified.
The salary range for this non-unionized position is $62,198.59 – $72,765.15, based on 35 hours per week, and includes a competitive compensation package.
To confidentially explore this exciting and challenging opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter quoting Competition #2022-17 by 4:00pm on May 20, 2022.
City of Port Colborne
66 Charlotte Street, Port Colborne, Ontario L3K 3C8
We thank all those who apply but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The City of Port Colborne is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate.
Apply for this position
About City of Port Colborne
The City of Port Colborne, located on the south coast of the scenic Niagara Region, Niagara’s Port of Call has found the perfect balance – successful industrial and commercial sectors, comfortable and scenic residential areas, sand beaches, unique culinary choices, the world-class Sugarloaf Marina, fishing, golfing, trails, shopping districts along the historic Welland Canal and an energized festival and entertainment scene that includes live theatre – truly a community that adds to the overall Niagara Experience. A great place to work and raise a family!