POSITION TITLE: PART TIME – Support Worker II – Residential Services
16 – 24 hours bi-weekly
LOCATION OF POSITION: Union
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Manager of Residential Services
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Under the general direction of the Manager, and as a participating member of the team, the Support Worker II will assume a leadership role in providing direct support to the individuals with intellectual challenges supported in their respective locations. The support worker will encourage that all individuals who receive support from this agency are being guided to meet their needs and goals which will result in enriched experiences in friendship, independence and community inclusion. The support worker will demonstrate a positive approach during all interactions. All these supports are offered within the context of an effective personalized support plan, and are consistent with the Association’s goal and policies and all pertinent rules, regulations and legislation.
HOURS OF WORK:
As per Article 15 of the Collective Agreement.
As per Schedule A of the Collective Agreement
STATEMENT OF MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY:
- Actively provide direct care by assisting, guiding, counseling, and supporting each individual in meeting their physical, intellectual, emotional and social needs through community participation. Facilitate daily living opportunities for each individual who are rich with community access, opportunity, dignity, stimulation and safety. Demonstrate a positive approach during all interactions to ensure appropriate role modeling. Participate as a member of a multidisciplinary team, assessing, planning, charting, graphing, evaluating and reporting to the team, all pertinent information to assist with the development of each person’s Person Centered Plan.
- Adhere to all standards of regulations as dictated by any relevant legislation, including Occupational Health & Safety, the Services and Supports to Promote Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act 2008, Ministry of
Community & Social Services and the policies, procedures, and guiding philosophies of the Association.
- Facilitate the orientation, training and guidance of other Support Workers, volunteers and students as per the direction of the Manager, encouraging a supportive co-operative team effort.
- For each person supported facilitate the development of Person Centered Plans which provides for a process whereby the person and his/her network lead the planning.
- Implement, and report on Person Centered Plans, encouraging the person to develop their skills, talents and abilities to their maximum potential.
- Promote and ensure the Agency’s Human Rights Statement and Commitment is followed when a person is unhappy with a restriction that is put in place.
- Follow routines as established by Manager in maintaining basic housekeeping to ensure clean equipment and environment, as well as keeping all clothing clean, tidy, age and weather appropriate, and in good repair.
- Plan and participate in appropriate activities with the people we support both in their home and in the community. Respond to any emergencies that may arise in a prompt and appropriate manner, informing Manager and or Executive Director immediately following all emergencies, complete an incident report as required.
- Adhere to established medication and safety procedures while administering all prescribed medications and treatments, keeping appropriate written records as required. Attend medical/dental appointments, informing family of results if appropriate and document any results and/or treatment plans. Carry out and document personal care as required. Clean and ensure maintenance of all assistive devices.
- In conjunction with the support team, maintain all necessary records, files and charts as per established retention schedule, ensuring confidentially while providing adequate and appropriate communications with all people and services in meeting each person’s needs.
- Report to the Manager any changes and needs in the areas of staff scheduling, individuals or household expenditures and repairs to the furniture, house or equipment. Submit all requisitions for funds as required, retaining and labeling receipts for all monies spent for submission to Manager.
- Facilitate and help to remove barriers to participation in the community such as transportation services for individuals by accessing community services or Association and if necessary assist people supported to network with other natural support networks such as friends and families.
- Maintain and further develop professional knowledge and skills keeping informed of current issues and trends in the field of intellectual disabilities and
treatment of persons with behaviour and/or psychiatric disorders who have developmental disabilities through program and training related research, attendance at relevant professional organizations, and completion of relevant training and/or course as required and approved.
- Attend and provide input into team meetings, committees and/or task groups as required and approved.
- Promote a favorable image of the services available through verbal and written communications, having knowledge of Association programs including their, Vision, Mission and Commitment statements, policies and procedures, and by being sensitive to parents, community groups and concerned individuals; ensuring that any recommendations made are reviewed and/or implemented.
- Perform other related duties as required such as employment support and maintenance, development of natural support networks that will support the Person Centered Plan, facilitating directed community based opportunity for people supported to enjoy and develop friendships and build connections and skills.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Must have a strong belief in Community Living-Fort Erie’s vision, as well as a strong understanding of Personal Outcome Measures and of the Agency’s Human Rights Statement.
- Must possess good organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess time management skills, and ensure any required paperwork is submitted by deadlines.
- Must have a professional and personable attitude in order to approach other professionals.
- Must be fluent in the English language written and oral
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Ability to be flexible and be able to prioritize as need arises.
Daily: Sitting at a desk or table with some walking, standing, bending, stooping or carrying light objects. Use of arms, hands or fingers in handling or manipulating objects. Repeated crouching and stretching. Operation of small appliances.
Occasionally: Unaided lifting of objects up to 30 lbs. (i.e. furniture/boxes).
Transferring individuals, support available if needed.
Able to perform emergency first aid up to and including CPR.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
Duties of SW II in regard to Health & Safety include but are not limited to:
-Work in compliance with the provisions of the OHS Act and regulations
-Use or wear equipment, protective devices or clothing that the employer requires
-Report to Manager the absence or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware
-Report to the Manager any contravention of the OHS act or regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows
-Bring forth any suggestions that would promote health and safety proactively within the work environment or within CL-FE
-Be alert to health and safety dangers
-Attend all scheduled training sessions
-Assist in reducing lost time incidents
- Two years post secondary school diploma in Developmental Services field or equivalent related training and experience.
- Valid Ontario full ‘G’ driver’s license
- Current Ontario driver’s license driving abstract
- Daily use of a vehicle for work purposes if needed, with your name listed on the automobile insurance policy and at least 1 million dollars liability coverage
- A current Niagara Regional Police Clearance Certificate with Vulnerable Sector clearance. Must have Community Living Fort Erie’s name specified. Must be dated within three months of hire.
*Note a criminal record may affect your ability for employment with this Agency.