|Job Title:||Data Scientist|
|Job Opening Id:||28235||# Required:||1|
|Business Unit:||Public Health and Emerg Servs||Division:||Emergency Services|
|Location:||Niagara Emergency Medical Svcs||Standard Hours:||35.00 / week|
|Salary Grade:||6||Salary Range:||$ 77,200.00 – $ 90,820.00|
|Post Date:||2021-04-08||Close Date:||2021-04-21|
Division: Emergency Services
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Salary Pending Review
Reporting to the Manager, the Data Scientist is responsible for conducting detailed analyses of data sets and providing advanced analytics solutions to directly support operational service delivery and provide evidence for business and strategic decision making. In this role, the Data Scientist will be instrumental in creating mathematical models, generating insight, and developing well-crafted interactive visualization tools.
Working on a variety of diverse projects, the role will include many aspects of data science, from algorithm development and implementation of modelling methods, to programming and the application of advanced statistical techniques. Make recommendations and determine impact of proposed strategic and operational changes using data-driven approaches.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant discipline (Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Business Analytics, Informatics, etc.)
- Post-secondary courses in any of the following preferred: operational research, data analysis and design, business intelligence analytics, data management, data modelling, statistics and statistical analysis
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is considered an asset
- 3 years’ experience with the principles, processes, procedures and methods involved in data analysis, optimization and discrete event simulation methods, and machine learning.
- Advanced skills in design of operational models and the analysis of quantitative data for the purpose of creating actionable insights and measurable impacts.
- Demonstrated expertise in planning, organizing and coordinating modeling projects, and ability to translate complex technical concepts to other stakeholders to inform their decision making.
- Experience with programing, querying databases, and using statistical computer languages: Python, SQL, R, SAS and others.
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using software such as R, Tableau, PowerBI, and others.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques including but not limited to: regression methods, mathematical modeling, system dynamics, analysis of variance, text mining, simulation, scenario analysis, clustering analysis, decision trees, and neural networks.
- Knowledge and experience in data storytelling and communication through different mediums e.g. dashboards, briefings, reports, slide decks, etc. to communicate complex, technical concepts to non-technical colleagues
- Knowledge of data management principles, technologies and best practices for working with high-volume structured and unstructured data
- Knowledge and/or related work experience with emergency service programs, policies, standards and related legislation as well as the governance, administration, and operations of Ontario’s Emergency Health System.
- Knowledge of structured project management approaches such as PMBOK, Agile etc.
Provides data modelling, statistical analysis, analytics to Niagara EMS to enable senior leadership to make evidence informed decisions on operations, quality assurance and continuous quality improvement. (80% of time)
- Work with stakeholders to identify opportunities to leverage data to drive business solutions.
- Apply scripting and programming skills to assemble various types of source data (unstructured, semi-structured, and structured) into well-prepared datasets with multiple levels of granularities
- Use advanced data mining techniques and perform data discovery to uncover the hidden patterns in our data assets and translate learnings to drive optimization and improvement of operations, quality assurance, performance management, research, and business continuity.
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Build predictive models leveraging ML/DL techniques, tools and analytics frameworks to expose actionable insights in order to support and improve relevant KPIs & performance metrics. Perform model tuning and frequent training to maintain proper health of predictive models by ingesting newer data sources. Monitor the model performance and make ongoing corrections by executing extensive model testing strategies. Ensure the appropriate documentation for model development and deployment is kept up-to-date.
- Develop scenario analysis to address requests from senior leadership for inquiries and performance related opportunities.
- Lead on the designing, developing and implementation of new automated processes and tools for data analysis and visualization, modelling, and reporting, ensuring the objectives and requirements of multi-disciplinary stakeholders are met; translate functional requirements into technical requirements.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Provides technical expertise for data cleansing, data mining and data storage and find opportunities to assess and improve data accuracy; working in collaboration with Corporate IT
- Contributes to analysis, solution design, development and implementation of operational and data warehouse projects working in collaboration with Corporate IT
- Builds processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- Identifies gaps in existing technology, information and data-related processes and assist in the development of new processes or changes to existing.
- Employs analytical, conceptual and creative thinking skills to improve the use of data across all aspects of Niagara EMS
- Identifies, designs and implements internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
Provides leadership with respect to the dissemination of results and information, as well as project management and change Management as it relates to the scope of work of the position. (20% of time)
- Regularly report analytical updates, offer recommendations and communicate assurance to senior leadership, using tact and diplomacy to influence decision making with evidence based insight. In addition, preserve and/or promote the reputation of the organization through accurate forecasting.
- Effective spoken and written communication to a variety of audiences, including strong data presentation/visualization and report writing skills as well as confidence in presenting complex concepts and findings to non-technical audiences.
- Works with the Manager and other team resources to develop and execute change management interventions, solutions and programs to meet the needs of the organization
- Serve as an expert to directly support Niagara EMS and colleagues in their data science work and in growing data science knowledge, capacities, and culture across the organization. Ignites positive change through educating and assisting staff with the utilization of new data concepts, assets and resources. Designs and facilitate training as required
- Provides strategic advice, guidance and support to senior leadership on data collection, integration and retention incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices
- Manage foundational, cross-cutting data science projects focused on the delivery of high-quality and cost-effective patient care. Works with stakeholders to identify the business requirements, understand distinct problems and expected outcomes, and models and frames business scenarios which impact critical business decisions.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply through the Niagara Region Careers site.