Job Opportunity Details
Company: St. J & B Port Colborne
Job Type: Social/Education/Government
Position Type: contract
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 04-20-18
St. James & St. Brendan Anglican Church, located in Port Colborne, is a faith community that promotes the common good of the wider community. It provides tangible, compassionate assistance and care through programs and ongoing support. Working with community partners, the project staff will reach out to seniors and encourage them to actively participate in a Community Garden project.
Reporting to the Administrative Assistant/Church Warden, the Community Garden Coordinator will be instrumental in constructing and developing a Community Garden to help improve food security and wellness for seniors in the community.
The successful candidate will oversee the construction of raised garden beds for a community garden on a lot across the street from the Church. The Coordinator, with the help of church and community volunteers, will solicit and encourage participants in garden maintenance tasks (prepping, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, etc. and provide a welcoming space for participants to build self-confidence, wellness, and personal skills. The successful candidate will have experience in gardening and understanding of food security and must demonstrate ability to work with and show sensitivity to seniors. The position will also support events and activities pertaining to the future construction of a community greenspace on the property.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Oversee construction of raised garden beds
● Encourage and support volunteers and senior participants in garden maintenance tasks (prepping, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting of a community garden
● Provide a welcoming space for seniors to build self-confidence, wellness, and personal skills
● Assist with special events organized for participants throughout the summer
● Work with the Administrative Assistant to provide required reporting
● Adhere to all Health & Safety regulations
● Be between ages of 15-30 years of age.
● Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred.
● Have been enrolled in full-time schooling spring 2018 semester & enrolled for full time studies fall 2018 semester.
● Post-Secondary Field of Studies: Social Services, Sociology, Children and Family Studies, Agricultural or Environmental Studies, or Food related studies
● Duration: up to 16 weeks at 30 hours/week at $14/hr (dependent on approved funding)
● Some weekend and evening work will be required for special events.
● Reports to Church Administrator/Church Warden
● Responsible to attend meetings with Park Committee to report on progress
● Volunteer supervision will be required
Competencies & Skills Required
● Experience in gardening/farming
● Commitment to social justice and understanding of food security
● Demonstrated ability to work with and show sensitivity to seniors
● Excellent organizational skills
● Ability to work alone and with a team
● Strong communication skills
● Ability to multitask
● Working knowledge of poverty issues
● Adhere to the qualifications set by Canada Summer Jobs program
● Provision of a vulnerable sector police check
St. James & St. Brendan Anglican Church values diversity and is an equal opportunities employer committed to employment equity. We invite all qualified candidates to send resumes to email@example.com.
Resumes will be accepted until Friday, April 20th, 2018 at 4 pm
Enter multiple emails separated with a semi-colon (;).